Monday, October 27, 2008

Shifting Gears

As Hedda Gabler draws to a close, Lysistrata is just beginning. I've began reading it, and something just seemed off. At first, I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I think I've settled on what I think the problem is. Its not the story, its the translator. I understand that anything written around 400 bc is never going to appear in modern times exactly as it was written, and i understand that Douglass Parker even made a note in the introduction that he modernized some of it to make it more appealing, blah blah blah. Maybe it's because my whole life I've learned that all the ancient Greeks were basically geniuses, but the way he represents Lampito and the Spartans as basically hillybillies, it's hard for me to put myself into the mindset of the Athenians.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hedda Gabbler!
Ms. D loved this

Tonlerbone said...

Haha, I actually thought hedda gabler was super funny