Monday, September 29, 2008

Bad Ju-Ju Mo-Gumbo

I'm fairly certain that shooting at someone is not a socially acceptable method of greeting people. In fact, I think that's attempted murder.


Photo: David Allen


In my journal today I anwered a question along the lines of "Is Hedda bipolar or just a mean person?" Admittedly I hadn't read Act II at that point, and therefore my answer has somewhat changed since then. Not entirely, but somewhat. Do I think that she's bipolar? Not in the least. She is however becoming a much meaner person than she was in Act I. At the end of Act II Hedda intentionally brings up the fact that Thea came to her and Tesman worried about Lovborg, for no other reason but to "have power over a human being" (272). Perhaps maybe this is just the manifestation of a mean person who is admittedly extremely bored.


No comments: